Warner Center

About the Facility

The Warner Center Complex opened in 1972 and was constructed at a cost of $3.25 million.  The complex was completed as an addition to Doremus Gymnasium, which had served as the Generals' home for indoor activites and athletic department offices since the 1920's.

The Warner Center, named for former W&L trustee Jonathan Westervelt Warner, is a five-story facility that features a basketball arena, the six-lane Cy Twombly Pool, a wrestling room, team locker rooms, an excellent athletic training facility, handball, racquetball and squash courts, a baseball batting cage, an equipment room and an 11,000-square foot fitness center that was completed in 2002.

The basketball arena received new bleacher seating in the summer of 2007 and currently seats 1,500 spectators.  The first basketball game was played on December 1, 1971 before a packed house as the Generals hosted the University of Virginia.  The arena has also played host to two NCAA Regional Basketball Tournaments and one NCAA Wrestling Regional.

Currently, the Warner Center serves as the home venue for men's and women's basketball, men's and women's swimming, volleyball and wrestling.