GREENSBORO, N.C. – The Washington and Lee women's swimming team recorded 1,053 points and won 17-of-18 events over three days of competition to claim the 2018 Old Dominion Athletic Conference Championship on Sunday at the Greensboro Aquatic Center.
Highlights From the Meet:
- The title is the program's 11th consecutive and 28th overall. Sophomore Emily Hageboeck (Charleston, W. Va. / George Washington) was selected as the Swimmer of the Year and earned the ODAC/Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance Scholar-Athlete of the Year award. First-year Mattie Grant (Mechanicsville, Va. / Hanover) was chosen as the Rookie of the Year and Head Coach Kami Gardner was named Coach of the Year for the sixth time in her career.
- Hageboeck won the 200-yard breast with a new meet, conference and school record time of 2:16.81, which was also an NCAA "B" cut.
- Grant also posted a new meet, ODAC and W&L record time, claiming the championship of the 1650-yard free with an NCAA "B" cut time of 17:30.94.
- Junior Elle Chancey (Tampa, Fla. / Berkeley Preparatory School) posted an NCAA "B" cut in 100-yard free after taking the top spot with a time of 51.80.
- The squad of Chancey, senior Cassidy Fuller (Moraga, Calif. / Campolindo), and sophomores Ali MacQueen (Memphis, Tenn. / St. Mary's Episcopal School) and Kelly Amar (Mount Vernon, N.Y. / The Ursuline School) posted an NCAA "B" cut time in the 400-yard free relay after claiming first-place with a time of 3:28.47.
- Randolph-Macon finished the three-day competition with 613 points, while Bridgewater tallied 365 points to finish third. Emory & Henry (337), Roanoke (294), Hollins (190), Sweet Briar (120), Greensboro (118), Ferrum (87), Virginia Wesleyan (86), Randolph (52) and Guilford (40) wrapped up the team results.
Top Three Finishes:
- Mattie Grant (1st) – 1650-yard Free (17:30.94)
- Taylor Ecleberry (3rd) – 1650-yard Free (17:49.07)
- Ashley Johnston (1st) – 200-yard Back (2:05.83)
- Olivia Luzzio (3rd) – 200-yard Back (2:10.14)
- Elle Chancey (1st) – 100-yard Free (51.80)
- Ali MacQueen (2nd) – 100-yard Free (52.07)
- Cassidy Fuller (3rd) – 100-yard Free (52.38)
- Emily Hageboeck (1st) – 200-yard Breast (2:16.81)
- Hannah Freibert (2nd) – 200-yard Breast (2:26.53)
- Olivia Lamb (3rd) – 200-yard Breast (2:26.71)
- Kelly Amar (1st) – 200-yard Fly (2:07.14)
- Katherine Degner (2nd) – 200-yard Fly (2:10.60)
- Fuller, Chancey, MacQueen, Amar (1st) – 400-yard free relay (3:28.47)
Washington and Lee returns to the pool on Saturday when it hosts the Fast Chance Invite. The time competition is set to begin is still to be determined.
-- www.generalssports.com --