LEXINGTON, Va. -- The 25th-ranked Washington and Lee men's tennis team recorded a 5-3 victory over The College of New Jersey in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Saturday afternoon at the W&L Upper Courts.
The Generals (16-8) fell behind 2-1 following the doubles competition, but recovered to win four of the six singles matches to post the win. Sophomore Michael Freeman (Portland, Ore./Jesuit) closed out the match with a 7-6 (3), 7-5 win over TCNJ's (10-7) Dean Thompson to give W&L its first NCAA Tournament win since a 5-0 victory over Messiah in the 2008 tournament.
W&L will advance to Sunday's third round, where it will face second-ranked Emory University at 12:00 pm.
-- GENERALS --
Washington and Lee Tennis
The College of New Jersey vs Washington and Lee (May 15, 2010)
#25 Washington and Lee 5, The College of New Jersey 3
May 15, 2010 at Lexington, Va. (Upper Courts)
1. Steven Fernandez (TCNJMEN) def. Hayden White (W&L) 3-4, retired
2. Mac Davis (W&L) def. Stewart Fernandez (TCNJMEN) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jeremy Becht (W&L) def. Jonathan Yu (TCNJMEN) 6-4, 6-3
4. Michael Freeman (W&L) def. Dean Thompson (TCNJMEN) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
5. Will Hall (W&L) def. Keith Goldstein (TCNJMEN) 6-4, 6-4
6. Cliff Gaddy (W&L) vs. Daniel Lee (TCNJMEN) 5-7, 6-4, unfinished
1. Steven Fernandez/Stewart Fernandez (TCNJMEN) def. Jonathan Gaffney/Alex Brooke (W&L) 9-7
2. Dean Thompson/TJ Riley (TCNJMEN) def. Jeremy Becht/Hayden White (W&L) 8-4
3. Will Hall/Mac Davis (W&L) def. Jonathan Yu/Daniel Lee (TCNJMEN) 8-5