GREENSBORO, N.C. – Washington and Lee won all but five of the events and totaled 1,031.5 points en route to claiming its fourth consecutive Old Dominion Athletic Conference Men's Swimming Championship on Sunday at the Greensboro Aquatics Center.
Highlights From the Meet:
- Senior Tommy Thetford (Birmingham, Ala. / The Altamont) was selected as the Men's Swimmer of the Year and was named the ODAC/Virginia Farm Bureau Insurance Scholar-Athlete of the Year for the second time in his career. First-year Patrick Sullivan (Pawleys Island, S.C. / Waccamaw) was chosen as the Rookie of the Year and Head Coach Kami Gardner was named the Coach of the Year for the second time in her career.
- The 400-yard free relay squad of Thetford, Sullivan, senior Corey Connelly (Belleair, Fla. / Palm Harbor University) and sophomore Evan Kramer (Taylors, S.C. / Eastside) posted an NCAA "B" cut time and set a new conference, meet and school record with a time of 3:01.12. The previous school record was 3:02.53, which was set in 2008.
- Thetford and Sullivan both recorded NCAA "B" cut times in the 100-yard free. Thetford took the top spot with a time of 44.48, while Sullivan placed second in a time of 44.87.
- Randolph-Macon finished the three-day competition with 635.50 points, while Hampden-Sydney totaled 406 points to finish third. Roanoke (294), Randolph (208), Greensboro (181), Ferrum (155), Bridgewater (123), Virginia Wesleyan (119) and Emory & Henry (40) wrapped up the team results.
Top Three Finishes:
- Tommy Thetford (1st) – 100-yard Free (44.48)
- Patrick Sullivan (2nd) – 100-yard Free (44.87)
- Corey Connelly (3rd) – 100-yard Free (46.90)
- Ethan Fischer (1st) – 200-yard Breast (2:09.09)
- Thomas Caldwell (2nd) – 200-yard Breast (2:11.17)
- Jonathan Tucker (3rd) – 200-yard Breast (2:11.77)
- Ben Brown (2nd) – 1650-yard Free (16:51.87)
- Fitz Rawls (2nd) – 200-yard Back (1:56.14)
- Danny Lynch (2nd) – 200-yard Fly (1:53.61)
- Brian Legarth (3rd) – 200-yard Fly (1:53.84)
Washington and Lee returns to the pool on Saturday when it hosts the Fast Chance Invite. The time competition is set to begin is still to be determined.
-- www.generalssports.com --