LEXINGTON, Va. – The Washington and Lee men's swimming team earned 369.5 points on day one of the W&L Invitational at the W&L Natatorium on Saturday to sit in first place out of six teams.
Highlights From the Meet
- Senior Tommy Thetford (Birmingham, Ala. / The Altamont) claimed the top spot in the 50-yard free with a time of 20.85. He was also part of the winning 200-yard free (1:25.04) and 400-yard medley (3:31.41) relays. First-year Patrick Sullivan (Pawleys Island, S.C. / Waccamaw), senior Corey Connelly (Belleair, Fla. / Palm Harbor University) and sophomore Sammy Logue (Fallston, Md. / Loyola Blakefield) joined Thetford on the 200 free relay, while Sullivan, senior Noah Schammel (Greenville, S.C. / St. Joseph's) and sophomore Ethan Fischer (Columbus, Ohio / Upper Arlington) swam on the 400 medley relay with Thetford.
- First-year Danny Lynch (Richmond, Va. / Trinity Episcopal School) took first-place in the 200-yard IM with a time of 1:56.93, while sophomore Jared Nickodem (Jackson, Wis. / Cedarburg Senior) placed fourth (1:59.10) and sophomore Ben Brown (Baldwin, Md. / Loyola Blakefield) finished fifth (1:59.82) in the 200 IM.
- York College (Pa.) is in second with 242 points, followed by Messiah in third-place with 207 points. Randolph (61.5), Virginia Wesleyan (55) and Emory & Henry (2) round out the standings.
Top Five Finishes
- Sullivan, Connelly, Logue, Thetford (1st) – 200-yard Free Relay (1:25.04)
- Danny Lynch (1st) – 200-yard IM (1:56.93)
- Jared Nickodem (4th) – 200-yard IM (1:59.10)
- Ben Brown (5th) – 200-yard IM (1:59.82)
- Tommy Thetford (1st) – 50-yard Free (20.85)
- Patrick Sullivan (3rd) – 50-yard Free (21.79)
- Sammy Logue (4th) – 50-yard Free (21.87)
- Corey Connelly (5th) – 50-yard Free (21.88)
- Bancks Holmes (4th) – 500-yard Free (4:54.34)
- Michael Struk (5th) – 500-yard Free (4:56.65)
- Sullivan, Fischer, Schammel, Thetford (1st) – 400-yard Medley Relay (3:31.41)
Washington and Lee returns to the pool on Sunday for the final day of competition in the invitational. Action is set to begin at 10:00 am.
-- www.generalssports.com --