PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The 15th-ranked Washington and Lee men's swimming team knocked off Grove City, 181-80, but was topped by Carnegie Mellon, 191-70, on Saturday at the CMU Tri-Meet.
Highlights From the Meet
- The Generals had 12 Top 3 showings, with senior Tommy Thetford (Birmingham, Ala. / The Altamont) leading the way.
- Thetford had the Blue and White's only first-place finish of the meet in the 50-yard free with a time of 21.65. He also took second in the 100-yard free after touching the wall in 47.74. Thetford also swam on the 200-yard medley (1:36.10) relay and 200-yard free relay (1:27.21), which both finished second.
- First-year Patrick Sullivan (Pawleys Island, S.C. / Waccamaw) placed second in the 200-yard free (1:44.46) and earned third in the 100-yard free (47.99) He also swam on the 200-yard medley relay and 200-yard free relay.
Top 3 Finishes
- Tommy Thetford (1st) – 50-yard Freestyle (21.65)
- Tommy Thetford (2nd) – 100-yard Freestyle (47.74)
- Sullivan, Ethan Fischer, Noah Schammel, Thetford (2nd) – 200-yard Medley Relay (1:36.10)
- Patrick Sullivan (2nd) – 200-yard Freestyle (1:44.46)
- Danny Lynch (2nd) – 200-yard Butterfly (1:56.26)
- Noah Schammel (2nd) – 100-yard Butterfly (52.55)
- Evan Kramer, Sullivan, Corey Connelly, Thetford (2nd) – 200-yard Freestyle Relay (1:27.21)
- Patrick Sullivan (3rd) – 100-yard Freestyle (47.99)
- Ethan Fischer (3rd) – 100-yard Backstroke (1:00.41)
- Noah Schammel (3rd) – 200-yard Butterfly (1:57.53)
- Jonathan Tucker (3rd) – 200-yard Breaststroke (2:13.40)
- Jared Nickodem (3rd) – 100-yard Butterfly (53.33)
Washington and Lee returns to action on November 17, when it travels to Lancaster, Pa., to compete in the three-day Franklin & Marshall Invitational.
-- www.generalssports.com --