Washington and Lee University provides its students with a unique athletic program that allows them to pursue athletic excellence without sacrificing their educational experience.
W&L follows the NCAA Division III guidelines of awarding financial aid based only on family need and academic merit. The result is a strong, diverse program in which participants are motivated by their love of the game and their desire to excel.
Washington and Lee offers 24 varsity sports, 12 for men and 12 for women. All sports compete at the NCAA Division III level and most participate in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC).
Over the years, W&L teams and students have been impressive on and off the playing fields. Below is a list of their accomplishments:
- Since 1970, W&L has had 65 athletes earn CoSIDA Academic All-America honors and countless others have been named to CoSIDA Academic All-District teams.
- Since 1970, W&L has had 38 athletes earn prestigious NCAA Postgraduate Scholarships.
- The 1988 Men’s Tennis team and the 2007 Women's Tennis team each have won a NCAA Division III National title and several other teams have finished in the NCAA Top 10 in Division III.
During the 2014-15 school year, the Washington and Lee athletic program again saw many successes. Below is a brief sketch of the many accomplishments by W&L’s teams and athletes.
- W&L posted an overall winning percentage of better than 61 percent (186-116-3, .615)
- W&L claimed seven Conference Championships (Women's Lacrosse, Women's Golf, Men's & Women's Swimming, Men's Tennis & Women's Tennis, Volleyball)
- W&L won the ODAC Commissioner’s Cup for overall athletic excellence and has won the award in 19 of the last 21 years
- W&L has also claimed the women's cup for 12 straight years
- 14 different Washington and Lee athletes were named to Division III All-America teams
- Five teams participated in the NCAA Division III National Championships
- 10 individuals were selected to participate in NCAA Championship competition as individuals
- W&L athletes were named first team all-conference a total of 61 times
- Eight athletes were named the conference athlete of the year in their sport
- A total of six different athletes were named the scholar-athlete of the year in their respective sport
- Four different athletes were named the rookie of the year in their sport
- Two coaches were named the coach of the year in their sport
- A total of 284 athletes were named W&L Scholar-Athletes for having achieved a GPA of 3.5 or higher in either the fall or winter term
- Swimmer Rick Sykes '13 received an NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship